High-pressure pressure washer: which model to choose?
High-pressure pressure washers are cleaning machines which use a pump to put normal household water under pressure to achieve a much higher cleaning and degreasing power. They are divided in 3 subcategories depending on type and power supply:
Cold Water Pressure Washers: the most popular and sold, since they use home water which, once brought to high pressure, provides excellent cleaning power. These machines are fundamental since they are suitable for many uses thanks to their many accessories which allow cleaning walls and driveways or cars, motorcycles, bycicles or agricultural machines. This category usually includes more affordable pressure washers, however, you can also find heavy-duty cold water machines used in construction and industry.
Hot Water Pressure Washers: unlike cold water models, these machines feature a diesel boiler which brings the outlet water to high temperatures, improving effectiveness and cleaning power. This is due to the degreasing power of heat, which avoids using higher pressure or aggressive detergents. However, the boiler makes them heavier and bulkier,and therefore less practical. These machines are very popular among professionals who have to clean particularly dirty or greasy environments, such as workshops or in food industry. In this category of pressure washers we can also find models suitable for amateur and semi-professional use
Petrol Pressure Washers: they can be considered independent machines since they do not need a source of power supply. Very appreciated for the engine power, up to 10 HP in high-end models, which allows to reach much higher pressures and flow rates than single-phase electric machines. Petrol engines offer higher reliability, but also higher operating costs, noise levels and lower convenience due to their weight. Very popular among professionals and companies for the great power delivered by the engines, which allows water to reach pressures and flow rates that an electric motor cannot match. In addition, and perhaps this is the most important aspect, the possibility of use in any condition makes it an excellent machine also for its versatility.
INTRODUCTION TO PRESSURE WASHER LEVELS
All major brands producing high-pressure washers which are listed on our website (Karcher, Comet, Lavor, Annovi Reverberi & Stanley Black & Decker, Michelin, etc.), are of a good quality, it is important to remember that in order to make the right choice you should understand the classification of these pressure washers and identify the right level of machine to buy. The element you should look at first is always the delivered pressure, the data more directly associated with the level of power of the machine, however, it is not always high pressure which determines the quality level of the electrical pressure washer and the high durability. So it is important to evaluate a sufficient pressure level, but is even more important to establish the frequency and intensity of use (A) of the pressure washer and what type of objects or surfaces (B) are intended to be washed. We therefore provide the first ultra-concise handbook based on our personal rank, visible also above, from which you can take notice:
- SMALL Pressure Washers : - A) very occasional use - B) small car + bike
- Hobby Use Pressure washers : - A) occasional use - B) + car + lawn mower
- SEMI-PROFESSIONAL Pressure washers: - A) average use - B) big car + bike + outdoor surfaces
- PROFESSIONAL Pressure washers : - A) intense and frequent use - B) + trucks + various equipment large outdoor surfaces
- THREE-PHASE Professional Pressure washers : - A) frequent industrial use - B) + vehicle fleet + industrial equipment + large surfaces
- Hobby use hot water pressure washer: with a lower power from the other, is suitable for a more limited use, aimed at those who still do not want to give up a hot pressure washer;
- Semi-professional hot water high-pressure washers: for those who want a very powerful machine and high quality standard while not being a professional;
- Single-phase professional hot water high-pressure washers: powerful machines, with single-phase motor, intended for a heavy and continuous use;
- Three-phase professional hot water high pressure cleaners: our most powerful machines for professional car wash, industrial operators, etc.
- Petrol pressure washers: for those who need a machine without the limit of an external power source.
Filters: A CONVENIENT TOOL FOR SKIMMING
We provide you now a real QUICK HANDBOOK for the FILTERS placed in the column below to help you to carry out a fast and effective selection and identify, in a few simple steps, the specific model that suits your needs in this review of about 350 electric pressure washers. The first filter, PRICE is subjective and we do not give suggestions. We focus directly on the following ones, that is, those of a technical nature (and we remind you that on each one you can also implement multiple selections).
- The first thing to consider is the PRODUCT LEVEL: select a sufficiently high level depending on the frequency and intensity with which you are going to use your machine;
- SWITCH Here you will find the widest selection of switches on the site, there are the most varied, and they range from power to the supplied accessories. just select one or more to skim the pressure washer according to the desired functions.
- FUNCTION: which allows you to choose between the 3 main macrocategories (cold water, hot water and petrol)
- DRIVE: allows you to choose the "fuel" of the machine
- MOTOR: it is the data that encloses the various types of motor, in fact not all electric motors are the same, they vary from brush motors to induction / brushless motors at 2/4 poles.
- FLOW RATE: this is often overlooked, but, on the contrary, should be taken into account more than the data about pressure, because it expresses the actual cleaning properties of the pressure washer; the machines with a high flow rate have a much more full-bodied jet wash and much more than those with limited range; it is measured in liters of water per minute, this is our classification:
- up to 6.9 L/ min
- From 7 to 7.9 L/ min
- From 8 to 8.9 L/ min
- From 9 to 9.9 L/ min
- From 10 to 10.9 L/ min
- From 11 to 11.9 L/ min
- From 12 to 12.9 L/ min
- Over 13 L/ min
- PRESSURE:this is the data that expresses with greater immediacy the power and the washing capacity of the pressure washer. They range from the lowest under 119 bars to the most powerful which are often petrol pressure washers and exceed 200 bars.
- MOTOR BRAND: a data specific for petrol pressure washers which allows to divide the machines between a branded and non-branded motor
- MOTOR POWER : it is a matter on which we do not dwell because generally it is directly proportional to the two data above of pressure & flow rate ( the greater they are the greater will be the power of the electric motor); We suggest only to verify this data carefully to avoid buying pressure washers with power and absorption that exceed the power currently available in the domestic supply contract (most of the times equal to 3 KW)
- ROTATION SYSTEM : The lower it is the better the quality and durability of the pump; However, the pumps with 1450 rev / min are found only on the most equipped versions of the professional high pressure washers. So, the majority of users who are looking for a pressure washer below the professional ranks just find this filter useful and can skip it;
- PRESSURE REGULATOR: Similar considerations as the above, this controller is comfortable but is typically found only on professional ranks high pressure washers. The utility is however quite superfluous on machines with single-phase motor, of which the larger models arrive at max 160 bar pressure, and it wouldn’t make sense to reduce or limit the pressure washer’s performance, with the useless consequence of extending the execution times for a wash, since this kinds of pressures don’t risk damaging even the most delicate surfaces
- HEADBOARD MATERIAL : this filter is of fundamental use to identify one of the qualitative and most important features of the pump; the plastic headboard is inexpensive, the aluminum headboard is average, the brass headboard is the most durable and resistant to high pressure (brass is one of the hardest metals and resistant in nature);
- The remaining filters, HOSE REEL, DETERGENT TANK and LANCE WITH ROTATING NOZZLE , are additional equipment, some of which it is possible to find as standard equipment in certain pressure washer models and some not, so we leave the customer to choose. However, we recommend all three, the hose reel because it facilitates the collection of the hose and a simple storage, the detergent tank because in some works and certain surfaces can also expand the washing power, as well as the lance with rotating nozzle, even if just with a different washing system (it concentrates all the water flow on a single concentrated point, which makes the rotation of the nozzle move quickly);
Which are the best brands?
Our catalogue includes leading manufacturers of pressure washers. As for other products, a serious, well-known and trusted brand means choosing quality and safety. The brands you should consider while purchasing a pressure washers - both for amateur and heavy-duty use - are: